Monday, July 18, 2011

My how you've grown


A mistake I made early on regarding planting trees, in particular a weeping cherry I really wanted, was saying, "But it will be 15 years before this tree is mature.  I'll be X years old!"  Well, guess what.  That tree I didn't plant would have been 25 years old, and the age I would have been when it had reached its ultimate beauty seems very young to me now.  Someone once told me if you're going to be X amount of years anyway, you might as well have a tree to go along with it - advice I should have followed.

 A Sunday school class at my church asked me to design a garden as a memorial to one of their members.  I suffered from that same syndrome as I was trying to come up with a plan.  Usually, I can picture how a bare garden in winter will look in full spring, but for some reason, I don't have very good future vision.

Already, though, the garden is coming together.  The small Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight' plants you see on the right have shot up amazingly.  On the left is a weeping cherry that already has a pretty wide spread.  The fast growing cryptomeria in the foreground on the right was already there, but is way taller than it was on day one.  Out of sight are a couple of Viburnum macrocephalum bushes that were loaded with big white balls this spring.

The remainder of the garden is coming along.  The camellias are still small, and the bigleaf hydrangeas haven't grown as expected.  But the climbing rose 'Graham Stuart Thomas' is already up to the top of the iron arch at the garden's entrance.  The class plans to add more flowering shrubs in the future.  It won't be long until this former blank space will look better than I ever could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment