Monday, October 24, 2011

More Japanese maple beauty


As I said in a previous entry, I could write a book about Bill Hudgins' garden.  And, a really good photographer could have a heyday.  It's not just the autumn that is so beautiful.  Of course, that's when the Japanese maples literally glow, as above.  But, I have photographs of spring when the new leaves unfurl in the most unusual and exquisite colors of salmon, burgundy, lime green, red and pink.  It's uncanny.

Bill has included many evergreens in his compositions.  His collection of boxwoods planted throughout the garden provides an important dark green backdrop for the brilliant colors.  As I might have mentioned, Bill has begun to introduce Asian elements into the landscape.  Even the way he has limbed up trunks suggests the influence of his recent trips to Japan.  I get that sense in this particular view.

I was looking back at the treatment I wrote for the shoot for HGTV's A Gardener's Diary.  Bill describes his garden as "heavily planted."  That is the understatement of the century.  I wouldn't dare try to estimate how many plants are in this garden.  In most areas, not a shred of ground is showing.  During the growing season, this is especially true.  In a future post, you'll see how he tucks in all sorts of ground covers, including both deciduous and evergreen.  All contribute to the complexity and beauty of this incredible garden.



No comments:

Post a Comment