Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tucked away in the garden


I just dropped by Louise Poer's house to deliver something and, camera in hand, was ready to see what was happening in her garden.  She's always changing things or adding new plants and objects, so one never knows.

But, there was a sign on the door that said, "Baby asleep".  I was crestfallen.  On the front of her house, trained along the eaves, was a yellow Lady Banks rose in full bloom.  Over the front door and to the right near the garden entrance, the Clematis armandii still had a few flowers left.  I was dying to go through the gate and around the house, but her dogs were barking like crazy.  Although she always says to come on in, I figured the dogs would only get worse as I passed by her side and back windows.

Anyway, I've got to go back to see what's there.  For the moment, I'll settle for a previous photograph of this little scene that is tucked in a border along the main path.  Louise scours Scott's Antique Market which comes to Atlanta the second weekend in every month, and she is always finding the neatest stuff.

Louise is an animal lover, which you can tell when you walk into her garden.  A bluebird box is always occupied during the season, and there are all kinds of topiary shapes, the newest being a butterfly.

I particularly love this little house that sits on the ground near the back wall.  Every time I go over there, I bend down and peer into it.  One never knows what might be in there.  In this photograph, a verdigris bird had taken up residence.

Maybe in a few days I can go back over to Louise's.  Things are popping so fast now.  Bill Hudgins called to say I should come over because things are blooming so far ahead of time.  Here's hoping for a cool down, but no freezes to hurt the tender growth.  So much to see - so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment